Monday, July 18, 2016

An interview with a chef...

Dear Readers,

Oh, what an exciting day!


Chef Vincent Mocarski from the Valley Highlands restaurant group has been so kind as to grant me an interview.  Professionally, he oversees several kitchens in the beautiful Hudson River Valley.

Chef Vin Mocarski in the kitchen
Chef Vin was kind enough to carve out some time despite his hectic (summer wedding season) packed schedule. I'm very excited to speak with the him and appreciate his generosity, especially during such a busy time of year.

SugarKisses: 
I often say that chefs are born, not made. Was there ever anything else you wanted to pursue professionally?
 Chef Mocarski:  
*laughing* No, Nobody in my family was surprised when I decided I wanted to attend the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) after high school. I was the kid making marzipan fruits during summer vacation while everyone else was swimming.  Culinary work wasn't a surprise to anyone, it's what I am and I love it and the new challenges it brings everyday. 
---------------------
Sugar Kisses:
Tell me about your experiences at the CIA, was it what you expected? What's your favorite memory during your time there?
Chef Mocarski:
I worked hard enough ("with fierce commitment" as the CIA said) that I was offered a CIA Fellowship to be an assistant teacher, which I completed in 2000. It was a great honor and I took a lot from it. I took advantage of a few of the opportunities it opened up, cooking in various places, but soon returned home to the Hudson Valley.
 --------------------

Sugar Kisses:
What do you think is the most important thing you've brought to your kitchen at The Garrison?
Chef Mocarski: 
My commitment to farm to table dining. I've expanded our gardens here and utilize as


Cheese plate at The Garrison
much as I can from them, as often as I can. The Hudson Valley is such an enormous resource, if I can manage it, given the seasons etc.. something from the Hudson Valley will wind up on your plate.  
---------------------
Sugar Kisses:
What do you think is the most important element in professional kitchens? What is the key factor that defines the success of a kitchen?

Chef Mocarski: 
In my opinion it's camraderie and working together as a team.  If a kitchen doesn't work as a team, there isn't any way everything is going to go out on time. When one of my sous chefs or pastry chefs has my trust, they are allowed a lot of freedom, but everything has to flow together and out on time.   
In our line of work, there isn't any room to tell a bride that her wedding won't proceed on schedule because someone in the kitchen messed up, we have to be a team.
----------------------
Sugar Kisses:
What's your favorite thing to cook at home? 
Chef Mocarski:
Actually, I try not to cook at home and instead try and dine out as much as possible.  This way I can get to know local chefs and what they're doing in their kitchens. Especially in the Hudson Valley with the local farm to table, fresh food movement we're lucky enough to have here. 
---------------------

Sugar Kisses:
What's your favorite guilty pleasure indulgence?

Chef Mocarski:
*laughing*  Skinny Cow ice creams. I especially love vanilla. Maybe that's not too indulgent, but I really love them. I often have one when I come home from work.

-------------------

Sugar Kisses:
Any last thoughts for people looking to pursue this profession?
Chef Mocarski: 
Stay dedicated, work hard, stick to what you know and you will do great in the culinary world.  Good luck!

 ---------------------------------------------

Wedding Cake and Flowers at The Garrison
We're sometimes so busy enjoying ourselves at weddings and events that we forget there is an entire team of professionals in the background working tirelessly to make our event special.

Chef Mocarski is the head of a kitchen that strives to hit their personal best every day, for every event, year after year.

If you're interested in contacting The Garrison for an event, please do so, you'll find them to be one hundred percent consumate professionals, in a gorgeous setting and serving delicious food.

In addition, they host a golf course and spa... you simply can't go wrong with The Garrison.  I'll see you there :)

Stay Sweet!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment