Sunday, June 12, 2016

Please don't eat the daisies... unless...

Dear Reader,
Lavender Honey Handmade Caramels 

Floral flavors are polarizing; people either love them or hate them, there is absolutely no in between.

To make matters more confusing, people who have never tried them tend to romanticize what they must taste like.

Items such as 'lavender honey caramels' evoke thoughts of frolicking through a field in Provence on a perfect summers day, the air so heavy and sweet with the fragrance of lavender that you can't help but taste it.

Of course, unless you love the flavor of lavender, the reality of the flavor is nothing like the fantasy.  The most common feedback I receive from someone who isn't fond of or accustomed to a floral is that "it tastes soapy."
*le sigh*

Our popular culture is not at all helpful when it comes to romanticizing floral flavors.  I've received a few requests for Turkish Delight to accompany The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe themed children's parties.

Though I can understand the allure of wanting to transport oneself to Narnia, I will always suggest another confection with which to ply guests, especially if they are young children.  I have yet to encounter a five year old that will willingly or eagerly stuff themselves with what is essentially paste with rose flavoring.
Rose Turkish Delight - courtesy of Food.com 

To understand why Turkish Delight was chosen for the book, people must consider that it was published in 1950.

This was, after all, only a few years after the strict rationing Britain experienced during WWII ended. Sugar was an especially scarce commodity during the war years, and anything sweet had been both coveted and relished for some time.

In addition, rose was a popular flavor during Victorian times (C.S. Lewis' childhood years) plus, it nods towards the exotic with its middle-eastern origins.
Modern children simply do not have the pallet of Mr. Lewis and there is nothing wrong with this. His preferences were not better or more superior to anyone else's, they were simply a product of the times in which he lived, as are our own.

I'm fairly certain that if the book were written today, some kind of chocolate or ice cream would replace the Delight.

Nevertheless, the people who enjoy floral flavors really LOVE them.  If they are used correctly and sparingly, I believe they can add a wonderfully light and slightly exotic note to many items.  In my shop, lavender lollipops are my most popular flavor, especially for Spring and Summer events.

Lavender Lollipops are especially popular
for Spring/Summer  events

I always walk a fine line when I introduce a new item with a floral note.  On one hand, I want my products to be fun and creative, but on the other hand, if people don't care for something they react negatively.

To explain: people generally don't taste something they dislike and think it is their personal preference.  If people taste something they don't care for, they generally think the reason is because I'm unable do my job well.
It can be especially tricky explaining to customers that my products are not the problem, they simply don't care for the taste of florals.

Especially in this time of social media, a person's opinion will be emblazened on the internet forever.

I want my customers to both enjoy my products and send all of their friends to me as well.  I want to keep them as customers for generations, and that won't happen if I produce things they don't enjoy.

brown butter chocolate chip cookies with sea salt
                                                                                                     

Sadly, this situation puts constraints on what I produce, though I console myself by making everything the best it can possibly be.

For example, making chocolate chip cookies doesn't necessarily feed my creative soul, but making the best people have ever tasted allows me to pay my bills.  In addition, making something familar that people enjoy builds trust in my customers.  If customers enjoy my chocolate chip cookies and vanilla cake, they are more likely to give my pistachio rose lollipops a try.

In the same way that flavors such as anise (licorice) and grapefruit can be polarizing, floral flavors are very much a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I love the complexity and depth they add to a dish. I know that not everyone shares my opinion and that's okay.

Their dislike simply means that there is more for me to enjoy.

Stay Sweet!

xo
Lisa















No comments:

Post a Comment